I picked up a Synchrometer from a local Motorsport business, Dirt Devil Ind., just located 30mins from Brisbane. It's used to tune/sync ITBs or carburetors for a smoother idle and acceleration. It's not really necessary but why not hey?
It works by measuring air flow through the trumpet (velocity stacks). The synchrometer has a tapered rubber tip that inserts into the ITB opening, than using the bypass adjust screw to set each throttle body for the right amount of air flow at idle.
So I'm still waiting for the paint to dry on the ITBs, going to be a long 7- days... But I couldn't wait so I did a dummy fit of the trumpets (velocity stacks) on the ITBs.
I'm so WET with excitement!
My ITBs were pretty dirty so I had them sent out to Chilton Engineering for some sand-blasting, got it all back today and they came out great! It was also recommended that I give the ITBs a coat of paint to keep them clean.
I picked up some VHT Primer Coat and Quick Coat in the aluminium finish, was considering painting them black but decided against it. Some clean silver aluminium will look spiffy in between the black adapter and velocity stacks.
Follow on after the break for my write-up and photos.
So my AE101 Toyota ITBs are filthy, full of grime and covered in weird corrosion stuff. I can't mentally install them without giving them a "refresh". I initially attempted to clean them by hand but to no avail, so I decided to get them professionally sand blasted.
The screws holding the butterfly in are secured from factory by "mushrooming" the ends of the thread, this effectively prevents the screwd from backing out and getting into your engine. So I've had to drill out the screws to disassemble.
I've been a slacker... I've had my ITB parts for months now and yet to install them. Well today I've started pulling the AE101 ITBs apart to clean and possibly paint. I also took the adapter plate to Chilton Engineering, can never recommend them enough, and had them check it over to make sure everything was flat. Unfortunately, the side that bolts to the head wasn't very flat at all. This was concerning because there are water outlet/inlets on that side of the head and I didn't want to risk water leaking into the intake.
Photos below of the amazing looking adapter and the re-surface that Chilton did for me.
So over the holidays I put some money down on a few parts for the car, will make for some great New Years Resolutions =)
Found a brand new ITB kit "second hand" off a forum, was able to get it at a very good price so I'm going to try do a budget build. Kit came with the Garage Star/Techno Toy Tuning (T3) adapter plate (black), Toyota AE101 throttle bodies, fuel rail mount, velocity stacks (black), air filters, vacuum block, Toyota TPS and various gaskets.
I've also got myself a Megasquirt DIYPNP ECU for tuning purposes, will assemble this ASAP and get running with the car as is. Will need other parts too like a new fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, wideband O2 sensor and synchrometer to sync the throttle bodies.
ITBs will improve engine response, emit evil noises from the engine bay as well as a small jump in power. My initial goal is to have fun building/tuning the engine, but long term is to gain more power with cams, head port/polish (and maybe other expensive stuff!).
Some good info here:
What it'll roughly look like when done: